Hackney, London, UK
Residential 'cluster' block. Designed in 1955, built between 1957 and 1959. Designed by sir Denys Lasdun. Reinforced concrete, partly site-cast and partly faced in Portland stone aggregate pre-cast panels. Surface now painted. sixteen storeys, comprising 56 two-storey maisonettes and 8 single storey studio flats. Plan comprises four subsidiary towers, linked to a core containing stairs, lifts and activity areas. The pattern of semi-detached maisonettes is clearly expressed in the rhythm of the elevations, in which solid balconies alternate with the narrower horizontals of the bedroom floors between. The fifth residential floor is occupied by flats, and this is also reflected in the rhythm of the elevations. An important example of post-war housing, which embodies Lasdun's ideas on urban renewal and housing.